Friday, August 14, 2009

Debate Over My Economist Article Response


Most people know that I am no shrinking violet! People use words like outspoken and opinionated when they talk about me.  And, yes: unlike most I don’t just think about issues, mull them over, and quietly decide them in my head.  I think about issues, mull them over, and usually publicly express them. 

But more than coming up with an idea or an opinion, I relish the opportunities to hash them out, learn from others, and put my theories to the test.  This week, I did that in my article in The Huffington Post where I (un)objectively weighed in on a recent article about sex crimes in The Economist.

I loved that both my article - as well as the original article in The Economist - has caused much banter (in comments) between very passionate and opinionated people.  I loved that opinions make people think, question, and decide their own mind.  Frankly, debate and sparring is good.  Just ask my friends Darren Kavinoky, Mark Geragos, David Diamond, or Mark Werksman about how we can agree to disagree. We can be passionate about our opinions and our ideas while still being respectful to each other as people. 

The thing that really makes no sense to me is that there are a countless number of people who have no problem blogging, commenting, and emailing with only venomous, mean spirited, and shallow things to say. I guess I should feel good that my opinions evoke hate mail because at least my words have left an impression and are making an impact.  However, I wish that as we look at the issues that evoke so much passion we all could stop and listen so as to make positive steps forward in our society. Instead, decisions are often made on impulse, emotion or fueled by anger and hatred. That is no way to make progress.   

No comments: